1. Cultivation Aims
1. First, candidates are required to study hard in Marxism, Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought and Deng Xiaoping Theory. They should adhere to the party’s basic lines, be patriotic and abide by law and disciplines. Based on a sound moral integrity, a rigorous and scientific attitude towards academic work, and a strong sense of dedication, they should endeavor to contribute to the ongoing socialist modernization drive.
2. Candidates must have a firm theoretical foundation in their special fields and broad background in related areas. They should be competent in undertaking independent research and development, and capable of making original contributions to their scientific and technological discipline. They should be proficient in a foreign language.
3. Candidates must take an active part in physical exercises and keep fit.
4. The specialty focuses on the research of new type of polymer material, particularly compound material and functional polymer material, exploring new theory, new skill as well as new technology. The research subjects cover most focus in present polymer field and enjoy a broad prospect of application. The graduates in the specialty are competent in researching polymer basic theory and designing new high polymer materials, They will be qualified for research, teaching, new production developing and manufacturing technology management in polymer field.
2. Duration for the program
The program for master’s degree lasts two and a half years.
3. Subjects for Research
1. Polymer-Matrix Composite Materials
2. Functional Polymer Plastics
3. Curriculum (See the table below)
4. Biomedical Polymer Materials
5. Environmentally Friendly Polymer Materials
Academic Degree Courses Political Theoretical Course
Theory and Practice of Scientific Socialism
First Foreign Language
Basic and Specialized Course
Structure and Properties of Polymers
Polymer analysis and Characterization
Introduction to reactive Polymers
Required Courses Literature Reading Seminar
Development of Polymer & Nano Compound Material
High-quality Engineering Plastics and Compound Material
Conducting Polymer and its Compound Material
Functional Polymer Material
Biomedical and Environmentally Friendly Polymers
Polymerization Reaction Engineering
Additive Courses Main Undergraduate Course
Polymer Chemistry 2 or more courses for graduates whose specialties don't conform to their undergraduate majors and equivalency diploma holders
1. Having finished school course, academic subject course and other necessary courses, the candidates are eligible for undertaking research towards a Master thesis, but they are required to submit, prior to the preliminary conference, 3 comprehensive reports related to thesis topic.
2. The topic is to evolve around the fundamental research or major technical issues of this specialty in the national economy. The report of the preliminary conference should be with a minimum of 5000 words, covering the situation of development, the significance of the topic, research content, the specific schedule and anticipated results, ect.
3. The preliminary conference is to be assessed by at least 3 lecturers with senior titles, who will offer specific assessment and advice for revision. Those who don't pass the evaluation will rewrite the report within a set time , and those who fail again will lose the education opportunity.
4. Phase-by-phase examinations are to be conducted on the thesis. The candidates should make reports on its process and achievement and discuss with their tutors such problems as research process and research methods. Given the great discrepancy between the actual headway and the criteria, a warning will be given.
5. After the thesis is completed, the tutor should strictly examine the thesis and offer his advice. Thesis under standard can't be allowed to submit for preliminary defence, which normally takes place two months earlier than the formal one. Thesis will be evaluated by preliminary defence panel, including at least 3 lecturers with senior titles. Those who fail the preliminary defence should, after its revision, have his thesis rejudged within six months. Formal thesis defence is held according to "Shanghai University Academic Degree-conferring Detailed Codes".
1. Photocopy of valid passport
With photo, passport number &expiration date and name included.
2. Passport-sized photo
A passport-sized photo taken recently of the applicant.
3. Bachelor's degree diploma
Graduation certificate should be in Chinese or English.If not, it should be translated into Chinese or English and be notarized.
4. Transcript of undergraduate school
5. Two recommendation letters
From professor,associate professor or equivalents.
6. Certificate of English proficiency test
IELTS or TOEFl will only be required if the applicant is not a native English speaker.
7. Certificate of Chinese language education
For applying Chinese-medium programs.
8. Study plan
Including study purpose, research interest and research plan in brief. (at least 1 A4 page)